National Poison Prevention Week

Tips on How to Keep Your Pets Safe Around Different Kinds of Poison.

Our feline friends are curious by nature, always exploring their surroundings. Unfortunately, they often get in trouble by finding items around the home that can harm them. National Poison Prevention Week was established in 1961 and dedicates the third week of March to spread awareness to prevent pet poisoning and how to handle a poison-related emergency.

Common Cat Toxins

Plants: With their curious nature, cats love to explore the different textures of plants they come across. Plants such as lilies, tulip, and daffodils are very toxic to cats. Ingestion of a tiny amount of petals, leaves, or even the water from a vase of one of these plants can result in vomiting, decreased heart rate, seizures, kidney or liver failure, or even death.

Toxic Foods: Cats love to explore human foods which may prove dangerous to them. Certain foods and beverages have strong poisoning potential for cats. These include alcoholic drinks, apples, avocados, apricots, cherries, peaches, plums, baking powder, chocolate, dairy products, fatty foods, coffee, nutmeg, onions, and garlic, among others. It’s best to stick to foods designed just for your feline friends to reduce potential poisoning risks.

House Products and Cleaners: Many items you may use around your home may harm your cat. Window cleaner, bleach, laundry detergent, dryer sheets along with many other types cleaners are very dangerous to cats. Your furry friends can even get sick by licking their paws or grooming their fur after exposure to these materials.

Medications: Even if the containers are child-proof, your cat may succeed at getting to the medicines. Even over the counter medications such as aspirin can be very dangerous.

Protecting Your Furry Friend

Prevention is the best protection for your feline friends. If not sure if an item is toxic, it’s best to err on the side of caution. Make sure to keep any potentially toxic substances such as foods, plants, medications, cleaning items, or pesticides away from curious paws.

Signs of Poisoning

It is essential to recognize the signs of poisoning and to take immediate action. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty breathing, seizures, or loss of consciousness. You may notice that your cat is hyper-excitable, trembling, lethargic or sluggish. Your pet may begin drooling or foaming at the mouth and may have red, irritated skin or eyes. Keep an eye out for ulcers in the mouth, burned lips, mouth, or skin, or bleeding from the mouth or any body cavity.

What to Do If You Suspect Your Cat Ingested a Toxic Substance

If you suspect that your furry friend may have come in contact with a poisonous substance, make sure to contact us immediately at All About Cats Veterinary Hospital for evaluation and emergency care. You may also contact the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center for information.

Keeping Your Feline Friend Safe

Nothing compares to the love and companionship of our furry feline friends. It can be life-saving to keep in mind potential hazards to avoid and actions to take in the face of an emergency. A few precautions will help keep your kitty happy and safe for years to come!

At All About Cats, we provide a safe, comfortable experience for your special friend.

CONTACT US

RICHARD LESTER, DVM

425-636-8201 phone
425-968-2996 fax

6501 132nd Ave NE
Kirkland, WA 98033

Email All About Cats Veterinary Hospital | Kirkland WA 98033
All About Cats Veterinary Hospital | Kirkland WA 98033

Practice Hours

Monday through Friday
9:00am - 5:00pm

Drop-offs/Discharges/Pick-ups
By Appointment Only
8:00am-9:00am and 5:00 pm - 6:00 pm

Saturday 9:30am - 2:00pm

Drop-offs/Discharges/Pick-ups
By Appointment Only
9:00am-9:30am and 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm

Call Today All About Cats Veterinary Hospital | Kirkland WA 98033 Request An Appointment For All About Cats Veterinary Hospital | Kirkland WA 98033